In the Society for Creative Anachronism, my name is Herrin Kathalyn Nimet. I enjoy the research and garments of the late 15th/early 16th Century German clothing, but I have been known to sew anything from 6th C. Byzantine to 14th C. Gothic fitted dresses also.

I attempt to sew other stuff to from modern day patterns, but that's been a challenge. Hopefully by brainstorming on this journal, I can figure them out with some measure of success. Modern patterns are just not my forté!

Please enjoy!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wams for HRH Ashir

Here is the inspiration image again.
I was asked by Lady Syele, who is the appointed Keeper of the Wardrobe, to make a doublet (wams) for this year's Valor tournament in Vatavia (Wichita, KS).  The theme for this year is Landsknects. My favourite, of course!! (I won't be going though, to far south, thereby too hot.)

I was sent black, blue & white fabric. I decided on this woodcut because I think the style would be very flattering on HRH. The sleeves and slashed bands will be blue & the body of the wams will be black. There is a inner "placket" that I plan to use a diamond patterned black & gold fabric for. There will be a ton of handsewing but the shape of the wams is simple enough that if I work dilligently, I don't see it being an issue.

HRH is making a set of leather pants for himself.

TRHs are in town this weekend for a local event and I will have a muslin draft prepared for him to try. I am pretty sure it'll be done tonight.

The hemd (shirt) will be easy for me to do too. In fact, now that I think about it, I can most likely whip that out this week so he'll have it to wear at the fitting of the muslin mock-up.

That's about it for now. Back to my machine.

I haven't sewn in a LONG time. It feels good to be creative again!

No comments:

Post a Comment