In the Society for Creative Anachronism, my name is Herrin Kathalyn Nimet. I enjoy the research and garments of the late 15th/early 16th Century German clothing, but I have been known to sew anything from 6th C. Byzantine to 14th C. Gothic fitted dresses also.

I attempt to sew other stuff to from modern day patterns, but that's been a challenge. Hopefully by brainstorming on this journal, I can figure them out with some measure of success. Modern patterns are just not my forté!

Please enjoy!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Plans and Execution

Alright.... train of thought:

From the woodcut, it appears that the slashing on the wams are not separate bands (umleg) like with a woman's dress, however it stands to reason that the same process could have been used for a man's wams. So with that as theory, I need to decide what colour combination I want to do. The blue linen is a bit of a coarser weave, and a bit tougher to keep from fraying even with tight hand sewing. (That reminds me, I'll do the hand sewing with linen thread, I really do prefer it much more than modern thread.) The base of the wams will be blue with blue lining, black umleg and black sleeves, not sure whether or not to self-line the sleeves or use the blue. There will be a white inner false sleeve for the puffing and the man's version of the brusttuch will be a black garment fabric with a faint gold diamond weave. If I'm inclined or have time, I might stud the brusttuch.

I'll be making the hemd (shirt) this week & mock-up for fitting this weekend.

I have a ton more to write but it's taken me over an hour to get through this with measuring, researching and phone calls, so that's it for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment