In the Society for Creative Anachronism, my name is Herrin Kathalyn Nimet. I enjoy the research and garments of the late 15th/early 16th Century German clothing, but I have been known to sew anything from 6th C. Byzantine to 14th C. Gothic fitted dresses also.

I attempt to sew other stuff to from modern day patterns, but that's been a challenge. Hopefully by brainstorming on this journal, I can figure them out with some measure of success. Modern patterns are just not my forté!

Please enjoy!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Long, long time!

I didn't realize it's been about 16 months since I last posted about a project to this journal. And honestly, I haven't had any inspiration since then. I have done some sewing but nothing that has really caught my fancy.

Well after attending my first event in Caid in over 10 years, I'm hell-bent on making a new Gothic fitted dress (commonly referred to as a cotehardie) in a personal heraldic style. I plan to have it done by March 1, since I plan to wear it March 3rd at Caidan Crown.

My proposed design is parti-colored red and black with white crescents sewn near the hem line.

I have two styles I'm contemplating.

1. Side-laced with bell sleeves (lined in alternate colors), maybe additional crescents around the neck or bell cuff.
2. Long fitted sleeve with button closures on bodice and sleeves with white tippets to match the crescents

The choice is hard to make. All the GFDs I own are the front button type, so I think I may do the side-lace one for it's cleaner lines and difference in style. It also gives me a chance to learn hand-sewn eyelets.

I plan to buy the linen from fabrics-store.com which is conveniently 45 mins away so I don't have to pay shipping. I'm also going to line it to give it extra stability. I haven't lined my GDFs recently because I usually wear them in the summer for the hot Calontir events.

The white for the crescents, I hope to find something at the fabric district. A heavy weight cotton brocade would be ideal. Nothing with the shiny of polyester blends.

Next thought.... head covering..... no clue and need to research.

No comments:

Post a Comment